To marry in Massachusetts you must have a marriage license issued from a Massachusetts City/Town. An out-of-state license cannot be used.
- You both must apply in person for a marriage license. This requirement is the same for both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth.
- You must jointly file intentions to marry and may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state.
- There is a mandatory 3 day waiting period. While Sundays and holidays are included in the 3 days, the day the intention is made is not.
- The marriage may take place anywhere in Massachusetts during the 60 days after the intentions are filed and after satisfying the 3 day waiting period.
- The fee of $25.00 is due at the time of filing intentions.
It is suggested that one of the parties call the Town Clerk’s Office to confirm the requirements for obtaining a marriage license, as there are exceptions to the general requirements printed above.
If either party is foreign born we request that you bring a copy of the birth certificate for verification of spelling, etc. We do not keep the certificate.